Can Hamsters Eat Strawberries?
Deciding to adopt a hamster as your fellow pet might be one of the best decisions ever. Hamsters are very loyal pets and easy to take care of. Due to their small dimensions, they are easier to be taken care of than cats or dogs, plus they do not require taking out for walks. This means you will have more time to sleep in the morning, which is always a plus.
Moreover, hamsters can become the best friends for your small children in order for them to learn the responsibilities that come with owning a pet and looking after it.
Hamsters are rodents, meaning they permanently require something to chew to sharpen their on-growing teeth. They can pretty much eat everything, and there is countless food mixes found at your local pet store specially designed for hamsters.
However, putting your pet on a healthy diet means includes a wide selection of alimentary products, specifically fresh fruits and vegetables. Here is a list of what your pet hamster can eat and what you should avoid feeding him:
Can hamsters eat strawberries?
Hamsters can eat a wide variety of fresh fruits and veggies, including strawberries. However, due to their high amount of sugar contained, they should be avoided if you own a dwarf hamster. Dwarf hamsters could develop big digestive problems when eating anything that contains large amounts of sugar, including the natural saccharine found in fruits. But, apart from dwarf hamsters, strawberries are safe to be fed to any other type of hamsters.
In fact, your little fellow could develop a sweet tooth for those treats and, if used correctly as reward treats, you can even help your animal learn a few tricks.
What are the benefits of eating strawberries?
- They are low on calories and high on fibers – Hamsters need to watch over their diet because they can easily eat too much food and become overweight. Thus, strawberries represent a delicious snack no hamster should avoid. Due to their low calorie intake, strawberries make the perfect snack for your hamster pet. Moreover, they are an important source of fibers.
- Lower cardiovascular diseases – A diet rich in fats is invasive for your hamster, not only because it can lead to obesity, but also because it increases the risk of cardiovascular diseases. Hamsters are sensitive animals, thus they should be protected from shocks as much as possible. By introducing strawberries in your hamster’s diet, you will lower the risk of apparition of cardiovascular diseases and help the blood flow run normal.
- Promote eye health – Hamsters are nocturnal animals meaning they are sensitive to daylight. Moreover, they do not have strong eyes, thus cannot see anything us humans see. However, adding a serving of two-three strawberries at least 2 times a week will help boost your hamster’s vision and look after his eyes.
- Boost for weight loss – As previously mentioned, hamsters can easily become avid eaters and gain weight. If you want to provide your hamster an athletic body, you must definitely look after his diet. The nitrate compound found in strawberries will lead to a good blood flow and will maintain a healthy oxygen level in your pet’s body, which will eventually lead to weight loss.
- Anti-aging properties – Although your rodent will not have wrinkles, there are still plenty signs of age showing. Strawberries are rich in natural antioxidants which will help your hamster have a shiny and thick fur.
- Promote bone health – Hamsters are known for having soft and small bones which can easily break. Boost your fellow’s bone system by serving him strawberries. These fruits are rick in potassium, vitamin K and magnesium, important compounds for a healthy bone system.
- Good for constipation – Eating too much solid food or dry seeds can determine your hamster pet to develop a temporary constipation problem. By eating foods with high contains of water, like strawberries, grapes or watermelon you will increase the body’s natural hydration level and have regular moves in your bowel. The high amount of fibers contained by strawberries represents the perfect solution for your pet’s constipation problem.
How often should hamster pets eat strawberries?
There are no studies in the field suggesting that too many intakes of strawberries will harm your hamster pet. The best way of serving strawberries to your hamster pet is to adjust to his own dietary needs and likes. Try offering a small amount of chopped strawberries to your pet for a couple of days and monitor his reactions. If he likes them you can start introducing them into his regular dietary plan. Remember that hamsters love a diverse diet, so introducing new aliments is benefic.
However, changing the menu too often could cause health problems like diarrhea or, on the contrary, constipation. This is why you should only introduce new foods gradually and first notice your pet’s reactions.
In the wild, hamsters eat diverse seeds, plant roots and even insects. Supplying the pet hamster finest meals mix is the most critical point to retain it content and healthful. So let’s locate out all facts about Hamster Diet plan.